What Can I Do To Support Net Zero At Home?
- Switching to energy-saving light bulbs and making sure lights are switched off when not needed – this can help you to save around £50 a year
- Put a jumper on! Lowering your heating by just 1 degree can save you around £75 a year
- Wash clothes at a lower temperature – switch to a 30 degrees wash and dry your clothes naturally instead of using the tumble dryer – this will save you around £35 a year
- Turn your appliances off fully when not in use, don’t just leave them on standby – this will save you around £30 a year…just remember to leave the fridge and freezer on!
- Reducing your time in the shower by just 2 minutes each time will help you to save around £15 a year
- Don’t fill the kettle – boil only what you need and this will save you up to £6 a year
- Walk more! Save £’s and lbs by leaving the car at home for short trips – a two-mile round trip to the shops on foot will save you around £0.50 in petrol and burn approx 115 calories, doing that once a week each year will save you £26 and burn almost 6000 calories!
The above steps alone can add up to almost £250 a year in savings and will all help to reduce your emissions without making any significant changes to your lifestyle.
There are a number of further measures that you can consider at home which will involve some research and investment but will make a greater impact on your bills and emissions over time, these include: